Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Contacted by the WSJ - "Are you Keyser Soze???"

The following is an email exchange that took place on the morning of May 4, from a reporter at the WSJ who is reportedly (no pun intended) doing a piece on "Who's Bob O'Brien" - per a source close to the Journal. In that piece, I have been told that this former TSCM reporter is attempting to connect me with the company through some byzantine twisting and turning. That's kind of hard, given that I have no contact with the management of the company, am not involved as webmaster of the website any more, am not compensated by the company, etc. etc. etc. - Oh, and did I mention that they don't know who I am? That means they are guessing, which is typically a bad way to go about doing things. Whatever. This does make for better entertainment than anything else I know, that is for sure. Here is the email exchange thusfar, and I will update it as we go:

----------------
I am a reporter for The Wall Street Journal and was hoping to interview Bob O’Brien. I have seen Bob O’Brien’s posts about me and want to assure you that The Wall Street Journal and I are interested in accurately reflecting Bob O'Brien's position.

Perhaps we could arrange to meet over a meal or drink together. If that proves impossible, then I would like to speak with Bob O'Brien by phone. Please call me back at your earliest convenience at 212-416-XXXX.

Thank you and regards,
Jesse Eisinger

Jesse Eisinger
Long & Short columnist
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.
212-416-XXXX
--------------------------
To Jesse:

Hello Jesse. I have a policy of only conducting interviews with the press via email, due to unfortunate instances wherein information got misconstrued or was inaccurately portrayed. Due to the large number of folks who seem preternaturally interested in my true identity, and given the very legitimate concerns over my safety, I don't discuss that. Anything else is fair game, as long as it doesn't relate to my ID. If you are interested in doing a legitimate piece, bring it on. If this is a thinly veiled attempt to do the work of the folks who have been trying to identify me for the last year or so, not interested.

You should be aware that I publish all email exchanges with reporters, in the interests of keeping everyone honest. So anything relating to nfi-info.net or ncans.net or naked short selling or the systemic problems in the market or nfi's business model or sector are fair game.

I heard from someone out your way that what you are writing is some sort of six degrees of separation piece wherein you try to get me connected, albeit tentatively, to the company. Let me start off by conveying that you are off base, if that is a correct description of your piece. I am a private investor, I have no affiliation with the company, I receive no support from them, no pay, no "secret" or proprietary information, not even encouragement, truth be told. The company is on the record saying as much, and I am saying it to you. So that dog won't hunt. I am frankly astonished that the "Who's Bob O'Brien" thing has gotten such visibility - I suspect that it is a function of a media that can't conceive of shareholders actually being articulate and pro-active enough to fight back against what they believe is illegal manipulation - a great story, incidentally, and one which your paper has been eerily silent in presenting.

The nfi-info.net is a separate, shareholder created and operated website that contains only public information, most of it not created by me. I have no affiliation with the site anymore, and there are other webmasters drawn from the Yahoo boards who now are chartered with the operations, such as they are, of the site. Same goes for NCANS.net. I started both, and have now handed both over to the folks that have the time and knowledge to support the endeavor from a technical side.

My blog is my bully pulpit, and I still operate that, as it doesn't require a lot of block and tackling to maintain.

What is the topic of your piece, and how can I help you?

AKA Bob
------------------

To be continued, I'm sure...

1 Comments:

Blogger Millerd1 said...

If you have not seen teh real issue yet, I'll try to explain it. The US media has been king and virtual mandator or public opinion since newspapers got on telegraph wires and railroad box cars.

What the internet has made possible, is an opinion source that has the investor's true interest in mind. The ex-opinion giver (read media) is deathly afraid they can and realize will eventually be dethroned. To fend off their defrocking, they are trying to stamp out those other voices competing for investor time and money eminating from that free internet wilderness.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home